Our eyes endure a lot just for the sake to make our lives colourful and vibrant. They always remain at risk of getting affected by various factors that eventually land them into some fatal diseases. One such common eye disease is glaucoma. According to the best eye specialist in Gurgaon, glaucoma is a condition that damages your eye’s optic nerve.
It is often linked to a buildup of pressure inside your eye. It tends to run in families and gets worse over time. One usually doesn’t get it until later in life. The best glaucoma specialists in Gurgaon underline that the increased pressure in one’s eye, called intraocular pressure, can damage the optic nerve, which sends images to the brain. If the damage worsens, glaucoma can cause permanent vision or even total blindness within a few years. Therefore, it is very important to diagnose and treat glaucoma at an early stage before things get worse for you because once you lose vision, it can’t be brought back.
The fluid inside your eye, called aqueous humor, usually flows out of your eye through a mesh-like channel. If this channel gets blocked, the liquid builds up. This condition can also be inherited, meaning it’s passed from parents to children. Less common causes of glaucoma include a blunt or chemical injury to your eye, severe eye infection, blocked blood vessels inside your eye, and inflammatory conditions. It’s rare, but eye surgery to correct another condition can sometimes bring it on. It usually affects both eyes, but it may be worse in one than the other. The best eye hospitals in Gurgaon underline some of the risk factors that can cause glaucoma. These are listed below:-
- If you are over 40 then you are at risk. But it can also affect children and youngsters
- Have a family history of glaucoma because it is inheritable
- Have poor vision
- If you are nearsighted or farsighted
- If you are diabetic or have a family history of diabetes
- If you take certain steroid medications
- Have had an injury to your eye or eyes
- Have corneas that are thinner than usual
- Have high blood pressure, heart disease, or sickle cell anemia
- Have high eye pressure
There are many types of glaucoma which are explained below:
1. Open-angle glaucoma: It is also called as wide-angle glaucoma. This is the most common type of glaucoma. In this type, the drain structure in the eye that is called the trabecular meshwork looks fine, but fluid doesn’t flow out as it should.
2. Angle-closure glaucoma: This type is also called as acute or chronic angle-closure or narrow-angle glaucoma. It is more common in Asia. In this condition, the eye doesn’t drain like it should because the drain space between iris and cornea becomes too narrow. This can cause a sudden buildup of pressure in your eye. It is also linked to farsightedness and cataracts, a clouding of the lens inside your eye.
3. Secondary glaucoma: This is a less common type of glaucoma. This mostly occurs when another condition, like cataracts or diabetes, causes added pressure in the eye.
4. Normal-tension glaucoma: This is when you have blind spots in your vision or your optic nerve is damaged even though your eye pressure is within the average range. It is often considered a form of open-angle glaucoma.
5.Pigmentary glaucoma: This type of glaucoma linked with the iris of your eyes. In this form, tiny bits of pigment from your iris, the colored part of your eye, get into the fluid inside your eye and clog the drainage canals.
Glaucoma is often called the “sneak thief of vision.” This is because most people with glaucoma have no early symptoms or pain. If symptoms do develop, it is usually late in the disease. Thus, it is important to have routine eye checkups to keep track of your eye health and protect them from glaucoma kind of diseases. The retina specialists of Gurgaon list some symptoms that need immediate medical attention.
These are given below:
- Seeing halos around lights
- Eye pain and irritation
- Vision loss and blurry vision
- Redness in your eye
- Upset stomach or vomiting
- The eye that looks hazy
If you are looking for the best glaucoma treatment in India visit Viaan Eye and Retina centre in Gurgaon.